Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My first blog...

Where do I begin? I guess I'll start with the name of my blog. That's from the Ford Cares Breast Cancer website, and I love it. The saying is...In Every Woman There Is A Fighter, A Survivor, A Believer...A Warrior In Pink.

As of February 8th, I, too, became a Warrior In Pink. I've always been a believer, but now I'm a fighter, too, and I WILL be a survivor.

I'm still very early into the disease and treatment. My surgery to remove the tumor and lymph nodes was February 28th. The surgery went very well, although recovery of the lymph node dissection was rough and my arm is still numb, which is permanent. But it was my FIRST surgery EVER and I loved my surgeon.

I started my chemotherapy in April and just finished my third, which means I'm halfway through! Wooo hooo! I am counting down the days.

I've lost all of my hair, but thankfully NOT my eyelashes or eyebrows! It was quite a shock at first, especially because my head isn't as attractive as one might've hoped, but we've all gotten used to it. My biggest side effect from treatment is fatigue. It's awful. I can barely function for the first week after treatment. This last session was worse, and we found out I'm anemic. I got a booster today, and that should help.

I also had a portacath put in my chest for my chemo, because I don't have good veins in my left arm. That's the only arm that can be used. I LOVE my port! I would recommend it to anyone having chemo. And again, I love my surgeon. He did a wonderful job.

It's been a crazy ride for all of us, but we're a team and we're getting through. And to make things easier on us, my writers group, The Cherries, started a fundraiser for our medical bills! They raised over $5000!!! I was totally blown away when I found out what they'd done for me. They are THE MOST amazing women on the planet. And because of their kindness and generosity, we were able to pay off all our medical bills, except my surgeon! ALL OF THEM!

Even through this very difficult time, God has blessed us SO much and I never doubt his plans for me. He is incapable of letting us down, and through his stripes I shall be healed.

The fight continues, but I'm ready for battle. I AM a Warrior In Pink. And I will survive.


No comments: