Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Is it REALLY September?!...

OMG! I haven't blogged since June! Where has the time gone?

SO MUCH has happened since June! Where to begin?

Well, for starters, I had my FINAL CHEMO ON JULY 18TH!! And although it was the roughest of all, IT'S DONE!!! And in spite of it being hard, my wonderful sister, Barb, was here from NJ taking care of me. So how can I really complain? She took amazing care of all of us. In fact, after she left John was sad because he got used to her delicious, HUGE meals everynight! :)

Not only did she care for us, but because of incredibly bad timing, we were moving into our new home ONE WEEK after my last treatment! Barb packed up our entire 3 bedroom apt herself. She's truly amazing.

So, July 18th final chemo, moved into new home July 30th!

That was very interesting. It's our first house, and we were super excited. But when we pulled up with the moving truck and all of our helpers, we found our house FLOODING from both bathroom celings. Uh...I kinda freaked, but as always, John was a rock.

Anyway, although we haven't fixed the damage yet, things are great here, and the homeowners insurance is paying. So, all is well.

SO...timeline...July 18th final chemo, July 30th MOVE, August 6th trip to Holland! I had one week (while still having major chemohead) to get my house in order.

We had a wonderful trip, thanks to my mil, who paid for the entire thing! My fil is 90 and very ill, and it was the first time I got to meet him. He's adorable! He's a bit of a ladies man, even at his age! I told John I was getting a shirt made up that said, "I went to Holland and all I got was this lousy T-shirt and accosted by Pop!" Everytime he hugged me, he practically ripped my wig off! lol. It was hilarious. I'd walk away from his bed all disheveled.

Ohhhh, the memories!

Okay. Since then. Got home from trip August 17th, started radiation treatments Aug 21st. I've been going EVERYDAY since then. Things *seem* to be going well. No side effects so far. I'm getting a bit paranoid that it isn't working! lol.

It's been 8 weeks since my last chemo, and unfortunately, my hair hasn't started growing at all yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

Whew. What else has been going on? Well, my nephew Joe, who lived us for 8 months, because of drug/alchohol abuse and other issues in NJ, decided to go back while we were in Holland. That was heartbreaking for me. He came in Dec of last year, and was making great strides, but then I got cancer, and his dad (my brother) ended up in Jail, and he went downhill. At 18, coming from an abusive family, he didn't have the coping skills to deal. John and I tried SO hard to reach him, but with my fatigue and chemo related side effects, I just couldn't find the strength to do it on a daily basis. It was VERY HARD, and I miss him terribly.

Well, this is already a novel, so I'll stop here.

Things I'm grateful for today...
Jesus
Being alive
My family
Friends
A beautiful, beautiful day outisde.

5 comments:

dee said...

Oh Michele, I's so glad you're back!! I've missed seeing you around, and was a little worried. I was trusting that Kim would tell us if anything was wrong though, so I knew you were not too bad (is that the right term for chemo and radiation?).
Thanks for the comments on my blog. It was really great of you to stop by and say hi. I passed your message on to Renee, so maybe she'll be in touch.
You have been through the wringer this year, huh? And still, you are beautiful.
Keep on keepin' on, and know that there is a family out here in VA that still prays for you every single day.
lovees to you and yours,
dee

Cherry Red said...

Hey Jersey!

You're back and Blogging! I'm just SO proud of you. I just can't help but be inspired by you every single day. All the bad stuff that's happened to you and all the good stuff coming all at the same time. How terribly exausting. But you've lived through it and made great strides.

I know that all will be well soon and we'll have that party for you when your radiation is over. A great big pink cake with your name on it. Oh yeah.

(((((((((((Michele)))))))))) Hugs..hugs...hugs...

Kim

Chari-Dee said...

It was so good to read your post! I have been checking and when there hadn't been one in a while, I was worried, too. But like Dee said, I figured if something was wrong Kim or one of the Cherries would let us know!

I keep praying for you and I will also say a prayer for your nephew, I have family that has battled drugs and alcohol and have, after much struggle turned their lives around, and have founded an outreach an live in center for other addicts. I will pray that your nephew finds what he needs to fight his demons.

Cherry Tea

Michele said...

Thanks everyone. It's great to be back! Sorry for making everyone worry, I was just soooo busy and out of it for a while.

Missed you guys, too!

Michele said...

And THANK YOU, CHERRY TEA for the prayers on my nephew. It's a very hard thing to go through. He's only 19 and has already been through SO much.

All prayers are appreciated!